Rainy monsoon days during the weekend means trying to clean out the cupboards … which can lead to playful and interesting results.
BOURBON SOY CHICKEN & MUSHROOMS
1 small onion, diced
4 shittake mushrooms, diced (1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms)
2 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp rosemary
1/4 tsp thyme
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp 5-spice powder
2 – 3 chicken breasts, thickly sliced
4 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp cup black vinegar
1/4 cup bourbon
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add onions, until just starting to brown.
2. Add the mushrooms and continue frying until mushrooms have shrunk and browned, about 2-3 minutes
3. Add the garlic and the spices and toss for 30 seconds.
4. Add the chicken and toss, allow the chicken to sear a bit.
5. Mix the liquids together then pour over the chicken. Mix, cover and cook while the sauce is bubbling for 3-4 mintues.
6. Uncover and allow the mix to reduce for another 5 minutes or so, tossing the chicken one or two more times.
7. Serve over white rice or buttered noodles.
The whole thing is quite tasty without being too rich. It’s like a chicken marsala, really, which is just a mushroom-wine reduction, but this adds a bit of Asian flavor and is slightly more sweet. Next time I might try for more extremes, such as adding some pineapple or raisins for even more sweetness.